s. Car was painted with Scalecoat and then the decals are mostly from Curt Fortenberry's Milwaukee ribside set. Weathering was done with oils and the door rust was done with some phone help from Jeff Meyer (thanks Jeff!). Trucks are Tahoe Model Works Barber trucks that are correct for Milwaukee, and the model is completed with Tangent Scale Models wheels and raised plate ACI placard parts. Prototype photo from Fallen Flags, Soph Marty. Weathered from a prototype photo to represent the car as it appeared in 1973.
:) Thanks to Jeff Meyer and Matt Sugerman for being sounding boards.
Here is one more Tangent Scale Models G43 car, this time a G43C in PC green. Car is relatively new, with just some oil weathering added, as well as the usual semi-scale wheel treatment.
Here are the pair of Tangent G43s together, with loads from "Loadman," a very skillful and artistic modeler from Pittsburgh PA who sells loads - and the cradles - at the Springfield MA train show. Awesome stuff!
Here is a Milwaukee Road PS-2 4000 modeled to represent 1973, so the weathering is a bit tame for a 10 year old car. This is a stock Tangent Scale Models car released in 2013, and the only modification is code 88 wheels to improve the car's appearance. I used oils for weathering including the rust at the roof eve, a common failure on these cars.
Last but not least, I finished three Utah Railway PS-3 coal hoppers. These will bring coal onto my layout from Utah Railway via routing on UP to Butte MT, then MILW to Plummer, and then the MILW Plummer Turn to Spokane to take coal to final destination at the cement plant at Metaline Falls WA. Photos show these cars moving in blocks of 2-4. I probably need a few more, but also some UP coal hoppers as well since those are also shown. These cars are factory-painted Tangent Scale Models PS-3 coal hoppers weathered with gouache (these cars are really dirty). Reweigh decals were added like the prototype and were made with homemade decals. I had alot of trouble with the gouache "lifting" and moving when I tried to decal after an application of acrylic overspray, but that could have been self-inflicted because I did not flat finish the factory paint prior to weathering (lazy!). "Raised plate" ACI placards and semi-scale wheels were added from Tangent Scale Models.
My next post will include an update on where I stand with the layout and my goals for 2017.